Lenovo U460 shutdown unexpectedly in Swichable graphic mode

0 votes

Hello,

I'm using U460 with win XP. I used it for long time without any problem.

But recently, It shutdown randomly.

Especially, when i was watching video with flash on web, and do action quickly (such as swich browser tabs quickly...).

So I think there is problem with graphic card or Its driver.

Then I try to research, I changed  Swichable graphic to Discrete Graphic in Configuration.

after that it come to be better. No shutdown randomly anymore. And the screen is not "blurs" anymore when i do action quickly.

But The screen is rendering slowly. I can see the images of screen is loading from top to bottom,

I installed all drivers for win xp but in "Device manager" It still doesn't recognize Video Card "Nvidia".

So i just want to ask:

- Is there any way to Nvidia card can work good in XP?

- If not, Is there any way to i fix the issue with Swichable graphic mode?

Any idea would be very appreciated!

asked Jun 27, 2015 by super (900 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

In win XP, you can't use Ndivia Video Card, because it don't have a proper driver for win XP.

You you should disable this video card in Device manager.

- Try to install latest driver for your Intel onboard card.

- Try to change screen resolution to a smaller resolution.

If above steps still don't help

Finally, 

SYMPOM:

The system shuts down unexpectedly during normal usage.

This tip is for the following regions: North America, South America, Central America, Western Europe, ASEAN adn RUCIS

AFFECTED CONFIGURATIONS:

All U460 models configured with discrete graphics that were manufactured between 1st June 2010 and 15th August 2010.

(U460S is not affected)

SOLUTION:

Root cause:

There is a defect that affects a small percentage of the heat-sinks used on the U460 that causes the graphics processor to overheat, causing the system to shutdown.

Solution:

Any customer who experiences repeated unexpected shut downs should call the support number listed in their user guide. This can also be found at:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613

Lenovo will arrange for the system to be sent to the depot to have it reworked.

answered Jul 11, 2015 by Tai Lieu (60 points)